span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Sunday, November 25, 2018

In-Bed Dialogue That Was Deleted


Baby Houseman
I'll never forget the rain.

Johnny Castle
Never? Not even when you're 99 years old?

Baby Houseman
Never.

You're a good teacher.

Johnny Castle
What?

[They both laugh]

Baby Houseman
I mean dancing.

Johnny Castle
Ohh.

You know, it's nice, when people don't think they can do something, and then I show them, and they can -- it's like something goes from me to them and back again -- it's like personal or something.
See also my article titled The Rainstorm Sequence. There I wrote that in the original story, "the larger sequence" was:
1) Baby is nervous that someone might see her with Lisa's lipstick

2) While the Houseman family is in their cabin during a rainstorm, Lisa discovers that her lipstick is broken or missing.

3) Baby leaves the cabin into the rainstorm, saying she is going to the lobby.

4) Instead, Baby goes to practice dancing with Johnny, while it rains outside.

5) As the rainstorm continues, Johnny takes Baby to his car.

6) Johnny drives Baby through the rainstorm into the country.
I now extend the sequence as follows:
7) In bed, Baby says to Johnny: "I'll never forget the rain".
In this original sequence of events, the audience would have understood better that the lipstick culprit is Baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment