span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Sunday, November 18, 2018

"Last week I took a girl away from Jamie the lifeguard" -- Part 6

This article follows up Part 1Part 2Part 3Part 4 and Part 5.

======

Baby Houseman interrupts Neil Kellerman's romantic move by worrying aloud that her parents might be looking for her. A few seconds later, Baby's sister Lisa Houseman rushes by, followed by Robbie Gould.

A few seconds later, Neil says to Baby: You hungry? Come on. Immediately Baby follows Neil to the hotel's kitchen.

As soon as Baby saw Lisa rushing by, she stopped worrying about her parents. Her worry ceased, because Baby had been worrying that her parents might be looking -- not for herself -- for Lisa.

Earlier that day, when Baby and Lisa had been trying on wigs by the lake, Robbie had come up to Lisa and talked affectionately with her. Then Lisa and Baby spoke this confidential dialogue:
Lisa Houseman
Baby, would you cover for me tonight? Tell Mom and Dad I went to lie down.

Baby Houseman
Where are you going?

Lisa Houseman
To the golf course. There's a pretty view from the first tee. Good. Thanks.
Now in the evening, when Baby was standing alone with Neil, she felt obligated to cover for Lisa. Baby's parents had seen Baby walk away with Neil, but her parents did not know that Lisa was at the golf course with Robbie. If her parents began to wonder aloud where Lisa was, then someone might remark that Lisa had been seen going toward or being at the golf course with Robbie.

The consequence for Baby would be Lisa's anger for Baby's failing to cover for her.

When Baby saw Lisa rush by, Baby stopped worrying about her parents and Lisa. When Neil suggested that Baby and he go get something to eat, Baby went with him, saying nothing more about her parents looking for her.

======

Neil complimenting Baby's beauty.
Baby wondering if her parents might be looking for her.
Baby is supposed to lie to her parents about Lisa's whereabouts.
Here is the scene's entire dialogue:
Neil Kellerman
I love to watch your hair blowing in the breeze.

Baby Houseman
Maybe my parents are looking for me.

Neil Kellerman
Baby, don't worry. If they think you're with me, they'll be the happiest parents at Kellerman's. I have to say it: I'm known as the catch of the county.

Baby Houseman
I'm sure you are.

Neil Kellerman
Last week I took a girl away from Jamie, the lifeguard. And he said to her, right in front of me: "What does he have that I don't have?" And she said, "Two hotels."

(Lisa Houseman and Robbie Gould rush out of the woods and talk at each other.)

Lisa Houseman
Robbie, I don't hear an apology.

Robbie Gould
Go back to Mommy and Daddy and keep listening. Maybe you'll hear one in your dreams.

Neil Kellerman
I'm sorry you had to see that, Baby. Sometimes in this world, you see things you don't wanna see.

You hungry? Come on.
Baby goes with Neil. She says nothing more about her parents looking for her.

=======

When Baby remarks Maybe my parents are looking for me, Neil misinterprets her concern. He responds:
Baby, don't worry. If they think you're with me, they'll be the happiest parents at Kellerman's. I have to say it: I'm known as the catch of the county.
Neil knows that Baby's parents indeed think that Baby is with him. A short time previously, Neil had walked into the gazebo, where her parents were standing and waiting for a slow waltz, and -- and while her parents watched -- Neil had led Baby away for a walk. Of course, Baby's parents knew that she was with him.

Neil imagines that Baby is thinking this thought:
Maybe my parents do not want me to be with Neil, and so they might come looking for me in order to take me away from him.
If Baby indeed were thinking that thought, then Neil's response was quite sensible. He assured Baby that her parents would be happy to think that she was with him. Therefore they would not come looking for her in order to take her away from him.

========

I am sure that most of the entire movie audience interprets Baby's remark about her parents as an excuse to get away from Neil's romantic moves. Baby does not seem to be attracted romantically to Neil and so she does not seem to want to stay in an isolated location with him while he compliments her beauty.

The problem with that interpretation is that instead of going back to the gazebo, where her parents are, Baby reflexively goes alone with Neil into the hotel kitchen, which is dark and (as far as she knows) empty of people. So, Baby does not seem to mind spending time alone with Neil in dark, isolated locations as that night continues.

========

I will continue this series in Part 7.

1 comment:

  1. There is no doubt that trained, professional lifeguards have had a positive effect on drowning prevention in the United States. lifeguard courses near me

    ReplyDelete