span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Baby's father thought the money was for Neil Kellerman

In my previous article, The Value of $250 in 1963, I reported that 17-year-old Baby Houseman's request that her father Jake Houseman loan her $250 without explanation in 1963 was essentially like such a request for $2,000 in 2017.

Here is the dialogue:
Baby Houseman
You always told me if someone was in trouble, I should help.

Could you lend me $250

Jake Houseman
Are you all right? Are you in trouble?

Baby Houseman
No, it's not me.

Could you loan it to me?

Jake Houseman
That's a lot of money. What's it for?

Baby Houseman
I can't tell you. It's hard for me to say that to you, but I can't.

Jake Houseman
You always said you could tell me anything.

Baby Houseman
I can't tell you this.

Jake Houseman
It's not illegal, is it?

Baby Houseman
No, Daddy.

Jake Houseman
That was a stupid thing to ask. Forgive me. I'll have it for you before dinner.
At this point in the story, Jake had no idea that Baby had become involved with the hotel's dancers and other employees.

The relationship that Jake did know about was Baby's relationship with Neil Kellerman, the grandson of the hotel's owner, Max Kellerman. Jake had seen Baby dancing and socializing with Neil.

Neil Kellerman dancing with Baby Houseman
in the hotel's ballroom
Neil Kellerman making romantic moves on Baby Houseman
on the hotel's back yard
Dr. Jake Houseman had been the doctor of Max Kellerman for many years, and they were personally friendly with each other. Jake knew that the Kellerman family was wealthy and could and would be able to repay the $250 to Baby before the end of the summer.

In these circumstances, Jake Houseman assumed that young Neil Kellerman was experiencing a personal problem that was expensive and temporary and that he had confided to helpful Baby.

=====

One gap in the movie's characters is Max Kellerman's son -- Neil Kellerman's father. Perhaps Jake assumed that Neil was trying to help his father with money and that Baby was trying to help Neil help his own father.

=====

If Jake had known that Baby wanted to give the $250 to one of the hotel employees, Jake surely would have at least asked Baby tough questions about the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment