span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Sunday, June 25, 2017

A Performance at the ZDF Fernsehgarten in Mainz

ZDF Fernsehgarten (ZDF Television Garden) is a German entertainment show broadcast live from the grounds of the ZDF broadcasting centre at Mainz. It is a seasonal live programme which only airs during the summer months. This video was broadcast in September 2012.


Don't you wish you were there, in that beautiful place on that beautiful day, watching that beautiful performance live?

That Black female singer sure is beautiful (even with her dopey haircut) and talented. And she sings in German! I wonder who she is.

The male singer obviously is Johnny Castle's cousin Billy Kostecki.

Billy Kostecki and his cousin Johnny Castle
Billy Kostecki and Baby Houseman
I suppose this ZDF Fernsehgarten performance was done by the cast of the theater version of Dirty Dancing. Maybe Billy has a major singing role in that play.

===========

The song at the beginning is a a German translation of This Magic Moment, which was a hit in the year 1960, performed by Ben E. King and The Drifters. It was on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 11 weeks and reached #16.


I don't know why "This Magic Moment" is included in this ZDF Fernsehgarten Dirty Dancing medley. Maybe it's sung in the theater version of Dirty Dancing.

I do think, though, that "This Magic Moment" might have been a better song than "The Time of My Life" for the final scene in Dirty Dancing. Maybe the dramatic Johnny-Baby lift does not fit into the song.

The song's lyrics are excellent.
This magic moment --
So different and so new --
Was like any other
until I kissed you.

And then it happened;
It took me by surprise.
I knew that you felt it too,
By the look in your eyes

Sweeter than wine,
Softer than the summer night,
Everything I want, I have,
Whenever I hold you tight.
=====

The song became a big hit again in 1969, performed by Jay and the Americans. The recording was on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 14 weeks and reached #6.


=====

Speaking of Ben E. King and the Drifters, I like this video of their 1962 song "Don't Play That Song".


Again,excellent lyrics.
Don't play that song for me.
It brings back memories --
The days that I once knew,
The days that I spent with you.

Oh, no, don't let it play.
It fills my heart with pain.
Please stop it right away!
I remember just what it said.

It said: "Darling I love you."
You know that you lied!

Remember, on our first date,
You kissed me and you walked away.
You were only seventeen;
I never thought you'd act so mean.
.
But, Baby, you told me you loved me.
You told me you cared.
You said "I'll go with you, Darling,
Almost anywhere."

But, Baby, you know that --
You know that -- you lied!
I especially love this stanza:
Remember, on our first date,
You kissed me and you walked away.
You were only seventeen;
I never thought you'd act so mean.
We need many more Dirty Dancing movies, because we need to include many more golden-oldie songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment