span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Saturday, November 4, 2017

My 500th Post in This Blog

I began writing this blog on December 27, 2008, and continued writing it only through January 3, 2009.

During those few days, I created the shells of 51 posts. Each post was a bit of the movie. I intended to fill each such post with dialogue, images and commentary. However, I soon gave up that effort.

During those few days in December 2008 and January 2009, I published 14 posts (beyond those 51 bit shells).

After January 3, 2009, the next post that I published was on August 16, 2015. During that interval of six and a half years, people did read my blog even though I was not writing anything there.

One person who did read the blog sent me a message asking how long the Houseman family stayed at the resort. That is why I resumed writing the blog briefly. I published seven posts during August 2015.

During the year 2016, I published four posts.

I resumed writing this blog in January 2017, and during this year I published 421 posts. Last Sunday I reached the grand total of 499.

======

When I reached 499, I decided to begin filling in those 51 bit shells that I had created in December 2008. That is what I have been doing during the past week.

I have put all the movie's dialogue into those posts. I also have put in almost all the song lyrics. I have put in a lot of images.

I still have a lot of work to do on those old posts, but I have made a good start toward completing that project.

If you go to the first such post, titled Bit 00 - Opening Credits and then look at the following posts, you should be able to see what I intend to do with the entire move.

=====

In addition, I intend to review all 500 articles and make necessary corrections.

* Some links might be broken.

* Some YouTube videos are no longer available.

* Some articles had mistaken chronologies.

* Some articles said that the magician was Moe Pressman.

* Some internal HTML code needs to be improved.

* All the articles should have tags (aka labels).

* With a fresh eye, I should catch various typos and small mistakes.

=====

I intend to continue writing this blog -- maybe another 500 posts!

I already have 14 posts that are partially written, and I have lots of ideas for more articles.

I intend to publish two more articles praising the ABC original movie. One of those articles has been almost complete for a long time.

======

I write this blog with an application called Blogger, which provides me with some statistics. In particular, Blogger tells me how many so-called "pageviews" the blog gets. I don't know exactly what a pageview is, but they give me a vague idea of how much the blog is being read.

My total pageview count is 167,416.

During the first half of 2017, when I resumed publishing posts regularly, I was getting about 200 pageviews a day. After I published my first article about Patrick Swayze's unknown Jason Whittle, my pageviews rose to around 600 a day.

More people read my blog on weekends. On a couple of weekend days, I had about 1,000 pageviews.

I have the impression that I have about 50 regular readers. Most of my readers visit only once or only occasionally.

=====

My article with the most pageviews is Robbie Gould's Philosophy, published in December 2008, which has 24,354 pageviews. The count is so high because Google lists it first if you search for something like dirty dancing robbie book.

Several of the posts I published in 2008-2009 have 10,000 or more pageviews -- simply because those posts have existed for almost a decade.

Since I resumed writing the blog in 2015, the top ten articles with most pageviews are:

Ron Jeremy's Reminisces About Borscht-Belt Resorts (August 2015) -- 7,445 pageviews

Patrick Swayze's Unknown Son (July 2017) -- 3,928 pageviews.

Why is Frances Houseman Called "Baby"? (February 2017) -- 801 pageviews

Filming Mistakes in "Dirty Dancing" (August 2015) -- 643 pageviews

The Song "Hula Hana" by Jane Brucker (June 2017) -- 593 pageviews

The Whittle Family of Morgan County, Missouri (July 2017) -- 431 pageviews

The Original Choice to Play Johnny Castle was Billy Zane (February 2017) -- 430 pageviews

Marisa Scheinfeld's Photographs of Borscht-Belt Resorts (August 2015) -- 421 pageviews

"The Goldbergs" Organize a "Dirty Dancing" Dance (March 2016) -- 371 pageviews

Pink Garlic Dill Pickles for "Dirty Dancing" (July 2017) -- 364 pageviews

=====

I get very few comments. My total number of comments (after deleting a few spam comments) is only 54.

A few months ago, I put some opinion polls in the right margin. Only seven people have participated in the polls -- and one of them was me.

Fortunately for my blog, I write it for my own pleasure -- no matter that I receive little feedback.

 This is just a hobby for me. I haven't tried to earn any money from it.

I write a few other blogs too, which you can find through my profile page.

I intend to write a post explaining how I became interested in literary analysis in general and in this movie in particular.

=====

I welcome suggestions for articles, and I welcome articles. If you want to submit an article, I prefer (but do not require) that you submit it as plain text (I will format it).

I welcome comments. If you want to make a general comment about the blog, this post here is a good place to do so.

I welcome votes on the opinion polls in the right margin.

If you want to contact me outside of a comment, send me an e-mail at MikeSylwester@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment