span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Jennifer Grey's Autobiography -- Part 11

Out of the Corner, by Jennifer Grey


Continued from Part 1,  Part 2Part 3Part 4Part 5Part 6Part 7, Part 8,  Part 9 and Part 10

==========

Chapter 13, titled "The Time of My Life" tells about events in 1986, when the movie Dirty Dancing was produced and filmed. This is the first in a series of my blog articles about that chapter.

==========

After Grey was selected to play the movie's female lead, she participated in the selection of the male lead. 

The choreographer, Kenny Ortega, had just flown in from LA and brought along his collection of old 45s for us to dance to. Kenny, who happened to have worked on a bunch of John Hughes movies, including Ferris Bueller's Day Off, would demonstrate basic Latin combinations for the potential Johnny Castles, while the rest of the creative team, sitting in a row of folding chairs, checked out what level of dance game these guys had. 

Grey recalls that actors Billy Zane and Scott Plank auditioned unsuccessfully. Eventually Patrick Swayze appeared, and Grey was dismayed. Grey tells in amusing detail how she pleaded against his selection. A few excerpts:

"Anybody else. Please!" I begged. ....

"I've worked with Patrick. We did Red Dawn together. I spent every day for two months with him. Trust me, it's not right."

It didn't matter what I said. They were bringing him in for this part.

When Swayze showed up, he apparently knew that Grey had argued against his selection.

After the initial hugs and greetings from the lathered-up welcoming committee, including yours truly, putting on my most convincing friendly face, the hunky actor asked if he and I could step outside so he could have a moment alone with me. He took my hand and led me down the hall a little ways. Once out of earshot, we turned to face each other, each perfectly mirroring the other, leaning against the wall. ...

[He said:] "This is a great part for you. Congratulations."

"I know, right? It's crazy."

This was softening me up. It felt good to be able to share my news with someone I knew.

"I know, you're probably thinkin', 'Aw, no, not this idiot again.'"

Then his eyes started to well up. Real tears.

And with the most earnest delivery imaginable, he said, "You know I've always loved you." He stared into my eyes.

"And I've been really workin' on gettin' my shit together. So, if I get the chance, I swear I'm gonna make it up to you. You will not be sorry."

I said, "Uh-huh."

He smiled and was working hard on getting me to smile back.

[He said:] "C'mon, you know if we did this together, we'd kill it."

I started crying, too ....

This was my first leading role, and I knew how crucial the casting of this part was to the movie's success. The sexual chemistry between Baby and Johnny was everything, and I was not feeling it. How was I supposed to trust this guy? Next thing I knew Patrick was hugging me super tight. I could feel his heart beating against my chest.

We went back into the rehearsal space.

... Patrick was far and away the best dancer who'd come in. He was strong, manly, and confident. Having never danced with him before, I had never experienced him in this way. There was no question that our bodies liked each other, in spite of what my head was saying. There has never been anyone with Patrick's combination of grace, brawn, sensitivity; and fearless, reckless gusto.


And so Swayze was selected to play the movie's male lead.

=======

Continued in Part 12

No comments:

Post a Comment