span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Dirty Dancing a plein d'anachronismes

Dirty Dancing is full of anachronisms.

If you can read French,
turn on the video's subtitles. 

Hi ! My name is Marjorie Le Noan, and after 8 years on YouTube working on collective channels: Good Monique and Le Latte Chaud, I now devote myself to my own channel on which I create specialized retro / vintage videos (20s to 2000): fashion, beauty, music, everyday life, etc ...

======

At 5:55 in the video, Marjorie criticizes Baby Houseman's hair as an anachronism. Baby's hair looks like hair in the mid-1980s, when the movie was made. (Click on images to enlarge them.)

Baby's hair is mid-1980s' hair

Mid-1980s female hair

In the early 1960s, Baby's hair during her visit to Kellermans' would look more like the following.

Early 1960s female hair

Marjorie points out this anachronism not only in Baby's hair but also in the minor characters' and extras' hair. Here is just one such example. 

Extras wearing mid-1980s female hair

Likewise, Johnny Castle has mid-1980s male hair. 

1980s male hair

========

Marjorie does credit, however, the movie's clothing as early 1960s clothing.

 



======

My French-reading ability is not good enough to be sure about this, but I think that Marjorie criticizes Baby's bra as being too soft for the early 1960s.

Baby's bra is a mid-1980s bra

Mid-1980s bras

Early 1960s bras

Early 1960s bras

=======

Of course, Marjorie points out the anachronism of the movie's mid-1980s dancewear.

Penny and Baby in mid-1980s dancewear

Mid-1980s dancewear

Early 1960s dancewear

There is much more in Marjorie's video. I am providing only a few moments here in my blog article. 

No comments:

Post a Comment