span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Sunday, April 8, 2018

The Black Eyed Peas' Song "The Time (Dirty Bit)"

The Wikipedia article about the musical group The Black Eyed Peas includes the following passages:
The Black Eyed Peas (originally simply Black Eyed Peas) are an American musical group, consisting of rappers will.i.am, apl.de.ap, and Taboo, and formerly Fergie. Originally an alternative hip hop group, they subsequently changed their musical sound to pop and dance-pop music.

Although the group was founded in Los Angeles in 1995, it was not until the release of their third album, Elephunk, in 2003, that they achieved high record sales. Since that time, the group has sold an estimated 76 million records (35 million albums and 41 million singles), making them one of the world's best-selling groups of all time. As of 2011, according to Nielsen SoundScan, the Black Eyed Peas were the second-best-selling artist/group of all time for downloaded tracks, behind Rihanna, with over 42 million sales.

The Black Eyed Peas were ranked 12th on Billboard's Decade-End Chart Artist of the Decade, and 7th in the Hot 100 Artists of the Decade. At the 52nd Grammy Awards ceremony, held in January 2010, they won three awards out of six nominations. In November 2010, they released the album The Beginning. In February 2011, the group performed at the Super Bowl XLV halftime show. ...

Their sixth studio album, The Beginning, was released on November 30, 2010, and received mixed reviews. The album's first single release was called "The Time (Dirty Bit)", and was revealed on October 20, 2010, through will.i.am's Twitter account.
The official video of the song "The Time (Dirty Bit)" follows.


The song's lyrics:
This is international,
Big mega-radio smasher.

I had the time of my life,
And I've never felt this way before,
And I swear, this is true,
And I owe it all to you.

Dirty bit.

I came up in here to rock,
Light a fire, make it hot.
I don't want to take no pictures.
I just want to take some shots.

So, come on, let's go,
Let's lose control.
Let's do it all night --
'Til we can't do it no more.

People rocking to the sound.
Turn it up and watch it pound.
We're going to rock it to the top,
Until the roof come burning down.

Yeah, it's hot in here.
The temperature
Has got these ladies.
Getting freakier.

I got freaky, freaky, baby.
I was chilling with my ladies.
I didn't come to get bozy;
I came here to get crazy.

I was born to get wild.
That's my style.
If you didn't know that --
Well, Baby, now you know now --

Because I'm having a good time
With you --
I'm telling you,
I had the time of my life ...

All these girls, they like my swagger;
They're calling me Mick Jagger.
I be rolling like a Stone
Jet-setter, jet-lagger.

We ain't messing with no maggots
Messing with the baddest
Chicks in the club
Honey, what's up?

Mirror, mirror on the wall --
Who's the baddest of them all?
Yeah, it's got to be the Apple
I'm the Mac daddy, y'all.

Haters better step back.
Ladies, don't load your app.
I'm the party application --
Rocking just like that
The Wikipedia article about the song The Time (Dirty Bit) includes the following passages.
"The Time (Dirty Bit)" is a song by American musical group The Black Eyed Peas from their sixth studio album, The Beginning. The song was released as the album's lead single on November 5, 2010. The chorus of the song interpolates "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" from the 1987 film Dirty Dancing.

The song peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US, becoming the group's sixth consecutive top ten hit (following the five singles from their previous album, The E.N.D), and ninth overall. It topped the charts in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, while also charting inside the top ten of the charts in most European countries. As of December 2017, the song's accompanying music video has received over 390 million views on YouTube, becoming the group's most viewed video. Worldwide, it was the eighth best selling digital single of 2011 with sales of 7.3 million copies. ....

Simon Vozick-Levinson of Entertainment Weekly praised the song's catchiness, but felt it failed to meet the standards of previous singles "Boom Boom Pow" and "I Gotta Feeling".

Franke Previte, who won an Academy Award for co-writing "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", complimented The Black Eyed Peas' sample usage, saying, "It just reconfirms to me that the song is cross-generational. The song has now crossed over to the next generation in a huge way." ...

Todd Martens of the Los Angeles Times called "The Time (Dirty Bit)" "the most assertive party song of the year". Digital Spy's Nick Levine gave a review of three stars out of five, disliking the many elements that constituted the song. The Independent's Simon Price also criticized the sampling on the track, calling it a low quality attempt to satisfy listeners. ....

As of January 2011, the single sold 3 million copies in the US, making it the group's fourth to do so.

The Black Eyed Peas performed "The Time (Dirty Bit)" at the American Music Awards of 2010 on November 21. Each member wore a futuristic outfit and started off enclosed in a glow-in-the-dark yellow box chamber similar to an elevator, accompanied by dancers with boxes as heads. Martens gave it grade of C+, calling it the "oddest set of the night". During the performance, Fergie experienced some trouble when the door to her box remained stuck for a moment.
The following video shows the performance at the American Music Awards of 2010.


======



No comments:

Post a Comment