span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Don't make me cry, Asshole!

A dialogue that was not included in the finished movie.


Penny Johnson
You just give me five minutes to pack, and I can go along with you.

Johnny Castle
No, I don't want you to lose the gig here.

Penny Johnson
Johnny, you're the one who says this place is like a dinosaur.

Look, Tito gave me a new record. We can learn a new tango routine.

Johnny Castle
Penny, you are the best. You are.

Penny Johnson
Don't make me cry, Asshole!

Johnny Castle
I will see you in a few weeks.
The above dialogue would have been followed immediately by the below dialogue:


Baby Houseman
I can't imagine being here without you even one day.

Johnny Castle
Just think, you have more time for horseshoes and croquet.

Maybe they'll saw you in seven pieces now.

Baby Houseman
I guess we surprised everybody.

Johnny Castle
I guess we did.

I'll never be sorry.

Baby Houseman
Neither will I.

Johnny Castle
I'll see you.
I speculate that the Penny-and-Johnny dialogue was supposed to inform the movie audience that Penny did not leave Kellerman's Mountain House along with Johnny. Some people in the movie audience might have assumed that Penny left along with Johnny, and then they might have been confused during the final scene, when Johnny returned alone and Penny was in the talent show's audience.

I speculate further that the Penny-and-Johnny dialogue itself caused many people in the movie audience to wonder why Johnny did not take Penny along with him. In general, the movie audience wonders about the puzzling relationship between Penny Johnson, and this dialogue is another occasion to wonder more.

Penny's remark Don't make me cry, Asshole causes me to wonder further about their relationship.

Also, the hotel's summer season had ended. What was Penny going to do at the hotel without Johnny, her dance partner, during the following two weeks?

In sum, the audience's focus was simplified when the Penny-and-Johnny dialogue was removed. By this point in the story, Penny has become an extraneous character. The remainder of the story is about Baby, her family and Johnny.

======

The Penny-and-Johnny dialogue shows that Johnny's car was parked near the employees' cottages.

In the finished movie, the car seems to be parked on some remote road.

No comments:

Post a Comment