span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Saturday, September 29, 2018

No new tours of the stage musical?

Here are some clues that no new North American tours of the Dirty Dancing stage musical are being prepared for the foreseeable future.
The last tour ended on July 1, 2018.

The tour's tickets webpage is blank.

The tour's Latest News webpage ends on September 19, 2017.

The tour's Auditions webpage ends on June 30, 2017.

The tour's Facebook page ends on May 9, 2018.
I am discussing tours only in North America -- not in other countries.

======

I saw the touring stage musical in New Jersey on January 7, 2018. As I wrote in my review, most of the audience was old people.
When we [my wife and I] did come into the the theater building, my first impression was that everyone there was quite old. I am 65 years old (I received the tickets as a birthday present), and most of the people in the lobby looked older than me. I figured that old people have enough sense and free time to arrive very early for such an event.

However, as I looked at the audience during and after the play, I saw that most of the audience was old people. I would estimate that the median age was about 60. I expected to see a lot of teenage girls in the audience, but there were very few.
Since then, I have seen various videos that show glimpses of the touring stage musical's audience. Those glimpses indicated to me that the audience everywhere was mostly old people.

It seems to me that the potential audience for future tours is dying of old age.

Maybe there will be future tours, but less frequently -- at intervals of several years.

======

I suppose that, in the future, the stage musical will be performed mostly by amateur groups based in community, university and high-school theaters.

This new environment will re-invigorate the stage musical. Few high-school students have been going to see the touring stage musical, but thousands will participate in or attend performances at their high schools.

Many high-school drama groups have performed, for example, the stage musical Grease.






As far as I can determine, no high schools at all have performed Dirty Dancing from the copyrighted script I suppose that the script still has not been made available to amateur groups. It might become available soon, though, if the national tour is ending -- or already has ended -- its regular existence.

======

I welcome expert information about the stage musical's situation.

Send me an e-mail at MikeSylwester@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment