span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Johnny gestures the "dog call" to Baby three times

Two days ago, I received an e-mail from a new reader, Nirmala, who wrote:
So glad to have found your blog -- just stumbled upon it today.

I'm a huge fan of Dirty Dancing. Lost count of the number of times I've watched this movie over the years and am still watching it and discovering new things.

I haven't read all of your posts yet but really happy to have found someone who takes time to analyse this movie.

I'm from Singapore, by the way. I'd love to discuss the movie.
I challenged Nirmala to contribute some of her own insights about the movie. Right away, she boldly wrote and sent me the following essay -- which all of you readers will like.

======

The "dog call” is a hand gesture with a curled index finger beckoning or calling someone.

slideshare.net/NirmalaPadmavat/hand-gesture-of-differents-cultures
Traditionally used to attract attention in a seductive manner, Johnny is seen using this gesture three times as he invites Baby to dance with him. It’s interesting to note how this non-verbal gesture shows his feelings towards her in each scene.

---------

1) Love Man

Johnny gestures the dog call to Baby at 4:31 in the following video.


Thus he signals her to dance with him and teaches her to sway to the music as he takes her in his arms and gyrates his hips, pressing his body against hers, back and forth to the rhythm. Johnny is flirting with her and Baby is clearly lost in his eyes and intoxicated as she stands there shaking, swaying and stumbling long after Johnny leaves.
Six feet one weigh two hundred and ten
Long hair real fair skin
I'm long legged and I'm-a out-a sight
My, my babe I'm gonna take you out

'Cause I'm a love man
Oh baby I'm a love man
Take your hand let me holler one time aaww

Love man that's all I am now
I'm just a love man
Oh baby call me a love man
Yes I am, I'm just a love man

Let me tell you somethin' which one of you girls want me to hold you?
A which one of you girls want me to kiss you?
Which one of your girls wants me to take you out?

Go on I got you, gonna knock you all night
'Cause baby I'm a love man all right
Oh, baby I'm a love man

Let me tell ya I'm sayin' I'm just a love man, good ol' man
I'm just a love man, fancy man
I'm just a love man, good ol' man
I'm just a hot fire, good ol' man
---------

2) Hey, Baby

Johnny asks Baby to dance with him with the dog-call gesture at 0:05 in the following video.


This time he gestures playfully, while balancing himself on the log. When she refuses the first time, he walks up to her and gently holds and encourages her while steadying himself. He is seen to be enjoying himself, goofing around -- he is no longer the strict instructor whom we saw in the Hungry Eyes scene. Is he falling in love with her?
Hey, hey baby
I wanna know
If you'll be my girl

When I saw you walking down the street
I said that's the kind of gal I'd like to meet
She's so pretty, Lord, she's fine
I'm gonna make her mine all mine
-------

3) Time of my Life

Johnny proudly introduces Baby as the one who stood up for him. It’s clear that he no longer sees her as the awkward girl. He gestures to her again at 1:41 in the following video.


Before the dance starts, he gestures the dog call to her, softly kisses her and leads the dance. The movie audience could infer that Johnny has developed genuine feelings for her when he turned down the money from Moe Pressman when he requested extra dance lessons for his wife even though we know that Johnny could do with the extra cash.
Now I've had
The time of my life
No I never felt
Like this before
Yes I swear
It's the truth
And I owe it all to you
'Cause I've had
The time of my life
And I owe it all to you

I've been waiting for so long
Now I've finally found someone
To stand by me…
=======

Nirmala now has written a second article, titled Reflection and Projection: The Symbolism of Mirrors.

I hope Nirmala will continue to write essays about the movie.

Anyone can submit essays or ideas to me at MikeSylwester@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment